Sleep Apnea Treatment
Sleep apnea is a specific sleeping disorder that is characterized by the reduction or pause of breathing during sleep. It is most common in adults and rare for children to have sleep apnea. At the Northeast Georgia Department of Sleep Medicine, we want to make sure we not only provide sleep apnea treatment to those in Atlanta, Gainesville, and into North Georgia that have this specific sleep disorder, but we also want to help educate. Being able to identify the symptoms of sleep apnea is the first step in treating sleep apnea.
Sleep Apnea Symptoms
There are many symptoms you can identify if you think you may have sleep apnea. These include:
- Daytime fatigue and sleepiness
- Poor concentration and attention
- Difficulty performing tasks at work
Types of Sleep Apnea
There are three types of sleep apnea. These include:
- Central sleep apneas (CSA) – this occurs when the brain does not send a signal to the muscles to take a breath. Therefore there is no muscular effort to breathe.
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) – Unlike CSA, in obstructive sleep apnea, the brain does send a signal to the muscles and the muscles do respond. However the muscles are unsuccessful at taking a breath because the airway becomes obstructed and prevents an adequate flow of air.
- Mixed sleep apnea (combination of the two listed above)
Sleep Apnea Test
Through a sleep apnea test, the physicians and staff at the Northeast Georgia Department of Sleep Medicine will monitor your sleep during a sleep study and will have an opportunity to diagnose your potential sleep apnea disorder. If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, our sleep medicine professionals can then provide you with proper sleep apnea treatment.
Our sleep apnea tests are administered in our comfortable sleep lab located in Gainesville, Georgia.
About Wesley D. Head, MD, FCCP
Dr. Wesley D. Head is a leading sleep medicine specialist in all of Georgia who is board certified in Sleep Medicine. His practice interests in Sleep Disorders and educational background make him one of the most respected sleep medicine physicians in not only Gainesville and North Georgia, but throughout the state of Georgia.
Learn more about what to expect upon your visit to the Northeast Georgia Department of Sleep Medicine or feel free to contact us today if you would like to learn more about sleep apnea treatment or a sleep apnea test. We look forward to hearing from you soon.